Pediatric Trauma Director Publications
Injury Free Coalition for Kids of Ann Arbor1. Ehrlich PF, Longhi JJ, Vaughan RA, Rockwell S: Correlation between parental perception and actual childhood patterns of bicycle helmet use and riding practices. J Pediatr Surg 36(5): 763-766, 2001.
2. Ehrlich PF, Ortega J, and Vaughan RA, Mucha P: The need for a statewide trauma system. W Vir Med J, Vol. 98 No 2, 66-68 2002.
3. Ehrlich PF, J Renton. Should Helical CT scanning of the thoracic cavity replace the conventional chest x-ray as a primary assessment tool in pediatric trauma? An efficacy and cost analysis. J Pediatr Surg 2003, Vol38, No 5 793-797.
4. Haque A, Helmkamp J, Swisher-Mcclure S, Williams J, Ehrlich PF, Furbee P, Manley W. Characteristics of individuals with risk for alcohol problems in a rural university emergency department identified by AUDIT-C. Ann Epidemiol (Short paper/Abstract). 2003 Sep;13(8):573.
5. Haque A, Helmkamp J, Hungerford D, Williams J, Ehrlich PF, Swisher-Mcclure S, Furbee P, Manley W. Brief intervention for alcohol problems in a university hospital emergency department: a randomized controlled trial. Ann Epidemiol (Short paper/Abstract). 2003 Sep;13(8):573-4.
6. Ehrlich PF, J C Helmkamp, J Williams, A Haque, PM Furbee. Matched Analysis of Parent’s and Children’s Attitudes and Practices towards Motor Vehicle and Bicycle Safety: An Important Information Gap. Inj Control Saf Promot 2004 Mar;11(1):23-8. (this paper attracted national and international new attention, reports appeared in 24 newspapers and 16 TV stations)
7. Ehrlich PF, W T McClellan, A Ducatman, J C Helmkamp, and S Islam , Understanding work Related injuries in children ; A perspective in West Virginia using the State managed Workers compensation System. J Pediatr Surg Vol 39/5 pp 768-772 2004, 2004
8. Ehrlich PF, S Attllah, P Seidman and JC Helmkamp. Endotracheal intubations in rural pediatric trauma patients. J Pediatr Surg Vol 39, No 9 1376-1380, 2004
9. Helmkamp Swisher-McClure, Manley, Horn, Leontieva, Ehrlich PF . A Brief Summary of Alcohol Intervention Research at West Virginia University: 1998-2003. WV Med J: 100 (4), 143-146, 2004
10. Luba Leontieva, Arshadul Haque, James Helmkamp, Samuel Swisher-McClure, Peter Ehrlich, Janet Williams, Kimberly Horn Stages of Change is Predictive of Response to Brief Intervention for Alcohol Problems in Young Adult Emergency Department Patients. J Cri Care Med 20,251-256 2005.
11. Peter F Ehrlich, MDa; A Haque MD MPH~, S Swisher-McClure~, J Helmkamp PhD~. Screeing and Brief Intervention for Alcohol Problems in a University Health Clinic. J Am Col Health 2006 Mar-Apr;54(5):279-87.
12. JK Brown, Y Jing Ehrlich PF(Senior Author). Patterns of Severe Injury in Paediatric Car Crash Victims: Crash Injury Research Engineering Network (CIREN) Database. J Ped Surg 2006 41 362-367
13. Ehrlich PF, Brown JK, Drongowski R. Characterization of the drug positive adolescent trauma population: Should we, do we and does it make a difference if we test? J Pediatr Surg. 2006 May;41(5):927-30. ( paper reported in feature article in NY Times)
14. Ehrlich PF (Senior Author), Sochor MS, Wang S, Eichelberger MR Factors Influencing Pediatric Injury Severity Score (ISS) and Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) in Pediatric Automobile Crashes: Results from the Crash Injury Research Engineering Network (CIREN) . J Pediatr Surg 2006 Nov 41(11) 1854-58
15. P F Ehrlich, A Drongowski and S Swisher- MClure. Feasibility of a Selected injury Intervention Program and a Pediatric Trauma Center.J Trauma 2008 Jul;65(1):189-95
16. Traumatic Cervical Spine Imaging: Characteristics of Missed Images. Ankur R. Rana MD, Robert Drongowski „MS, Gretchen Breckner, and Peter F. Ehrlich MD(Senior Author) MSc. Accepted Journal of Pediatric Surgery
17. The Canadian C-spine Rule and the National Emergency X-Radiography Utilization Low Risk Criteria for C-spine radiography in young trauma patients. PF Ehrlich MD MSc, C Wee, Robert Drongowski MS and Ankur R. Rana MD Accept Journal of Pediatric Surgery
18. Garton HJ, Hammer MR. Detection of pediatric cervical spine injury. Neurosurgery, 2008 Mar; 62 (3): 700-8.
19. Walton M, Cunningham R, Xue Y, Trowbridge M, Zimmerman M, Maio RF. Internet referrals for adolescent violence prevention: an innovative mechanism for inner-city emergency departments. J Adolesc Health. 2008 Sep;43(3):309-12. Epub 2008 Apr 25.
20. Farley, F et al. Management of pediatric trauma. Pediatrics. 2008 Apr;121(4):849-54.
21. Lien SC, Cederna PS, Kuzon WM Jr. Optimizing skeletal muscle reinnervation with nerve transfer. Hand Clin. 2008 Nov;24(4):445-54.
22. McDonough ED Jr, Wojtys EM. Multiligamentous Injuries of the Knee and Associated Vascular Injuries. Am J Sports Med. 2008 Oct 8.
23. Herrera-Soto JA, Duffy MF, Birnbaum MA,Vander Have KL. Increased Intracapsular Pressures After Unstable Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis. J Pediat Orthop October/November 2008: 28 (7): 723.
24. Caird MS, Hensinger RN, Vander Have KL, Gelbke MK, Farley FA. Isolated alar ligament disruption in children as a cause of persistent torticollis and neck pain after injury: a report of three cases. Submitted for review to Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery. September 2008.
25. Hemmila MR, Jakubus JL, Maggio PM, Wahl WL,Dimick JB, Campbell DA Jr, Taheri PA. Real money: complications and hospital costs in trauma patients. Surgery 2008 Aug;144(2):307-16.
26. Wei B, Hemmila MR, Arbabi S, Taheri PA, Wahl WL. Angioembolization reduces operative intervention for blunt splenic injury. J Trauma 2008 Jun;64(6):1472-7.
27. Nelson, VS. Durable medical equipment for children with spinal cord dysfunction: implications of age and level of injury. J Spinal Cord Med. 2007;30 Suppl 1:S172-7. Review.
28. Hemmila MR, Jakubus JL, Wahl WL, Arbabi S, Taheri PA, Henderson WG, Khuri SF, Henderson, Campbell DA Jr. Detecting the blind spot: Complications in the trauma registry and trauma quality improvement. Surgery 2007 Oct;142(4):439-48; discussion 448-9.
29. Wang, SC. Growing Obesity: Concerning Implications for the Burden from Crash Injury. Proceedings of the Japan Society of Automotive Engineers 60th Annual Meeting. 2007. Technical Paper 148-20075201
30. Blane CE, Desmond JS, Helvie MA, et al. Academic radiology and the emergency department : Does it need changing ? Acad Radiol 2007 May;14(5):625-30.
31. Nafiu OO, Reynolds PI, Bamgbade OA, Tremper KK, Welch K, Kasa-Vubu JZ. Childhood body mass index and perioperative complications. Paediatr Anaesth. 2007 May;17(5):426-30.
32. Goldstein AL, Walton MA, Cunningham RM, Trowbridge MJ, Maio RF. Violence and substance use as risk factors for depressive symptoms among adolescents in an urban emergency department. J Adolesc Health. 2007 Mar;40(3):276-9. Epub 2007 Jan 5.
33. Garton HJ. Immediate CT scan followed by early discharge may be appropriate management for selected patients with mild head injury. J Pediatr. 2007 Mar; 150(3): 321.
34. Caird MS, Hensinger RN, Weiss N, Farley FA. Complications and problems in halo treatment of toddlers: limited ambulation is recommended. J Pediatr Orthop. 2006 Nov-Dec;26(6):750-2.
35. Sochor MR, Faust DP, Anderson KF, Barnes S, Ridella SA, Wang SC. Assessment of 3 and 6-Year-Old Neck Injury Criteria based on field investigation, modeling and sled testing. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper #2006-01-0253
36. Blane CE, Vine AA, Fitzgerald JT, Desmond JS, Garton HJ, Chong ST, Myers NC. ED initiated cervical spine imaging. Presented at the American Association of Emergency Radiology, September 30, 2006. Washington DC, in preparation for submission.
37. Hemila MR, Napolitano LM. Severe respiratory failure: advanced treatment options. Crit Care Med 2006 Sep;34(9 Suppl):S278-90.
38. Cunningham R, Walton M, Trowbridge M, Weber J, Outman R, Benway A, Maio R. Correlates of violent behavior among adolescents presenting to an urban emergency department. J Pediatr. 2006 Dec;149(6):770-6.
39. Skinner SC, Hirschl RB, Bartlett RH. Extracorporeal life support. Semin Pediatr Surg. 2006 Nov;15(4):242-50. Review.
40. Epidemiology of a pediatric emergency medicine research network: the PECARN Core Data Project. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2006 Oct;22(10):689-99. Alpern ER, Stanley RM, Gorelick MH, Donaldson A, Knight S, Teach SJ, Singh T, Mahajan P, Goepp JG, Kuppermann N, Dean JM, Chamberlain JM; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network.
41. Wahl WL, Brandt MM, Hemmila MR, Arbabi S. Diagnosis and management of bile leaks after blunt liver injury. Surgery, 2005; 138:742-747
42. Cunningham RM, Vaidya RS, Walton M, Maio RF. Training emergency medicine nurses and physicians in youth violence prevention. Am J Prev Med. 2005 Dec;29(5 Suppl 2):220-5.
43. Taylor MD, Genuit T, Napolitano LM. Overwhelming postsplenectomy sepsis and trauma: Time to consider revaccination? J Trauma, 2005 December; 59(6):1482-5.
44. Guzzo JL, Bochicchio GV, Napolitano LM, Malone DL, Meyer W, Scalea TM. Prediction of outcomes in trauma: Anatomic or physiologic parameters? J Am Coll Surg 2005 Dec; 201(6):891-7.
45. Arbabi S, Jurkovich GJ, Wahl WL, Kim HM, Maier RV. The effect of patient-load on trauma outcomes in a level I center. J Trauma, 59(4):815-820, 2005.
46. Farley FA, Gebarski SS, Garton HL. Tectorial membrane injuries in children. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2005 Apr;18(2):136-8.
47. Cunningham RM, Vaidya RS, Walton M, Maio RF. Training emergency medicine nurses and physicians in youth violence prevention. Am J Prev Med. 2005 Dec;29(5 Suppl 2):220-5.
48. Comparison of teen driver fatality rates by vehicle type in the United States.Trowbridge MJ, McKay MP, Maio RF.Acad Emerg Med. 2007 Oct;14(10):850-5.
49. A randomized controlled trial of an emergency department-based interactive computer program to prevent alcohol misuse among injured adolescents.Maio RF, Shope JT, Blow FC, Gregor MA, Zakrajsek JS, Weber JE, Nypaver MM.Ann Emerg Med. 2005 Apr;45(4):420-9.
50. Parental perceptions regarding mandatory mouthguard use in competitive youth soccer.Pribble JM, Maio RF, Freed GL.Inj Prev. 2004 Jun;10(3):159-62.
51. Feasibility of using an interactive laptop program in the emergency department to prevent alcohol misuse among adolescents.Gregor MA, Shope JT, Blow FC, Maio RF, Weber JE, Nypaver MM.Ann Emerg Med. 2003 Aug;42(2):276-84
52. Violence and substance use among an injured emergency department population.Cunningham R, Walton MA, Maio RF, Blow FC, Weber JE, Mirel L.Acad Emerg Med. 2003 Jul;10(7):764-75.